Some might say that there are no rules. But there are certain things that help promote order and a healthy atmosphere. In a house church meeting anyone can speak and no one is censored. This tremendous amount of liberty also comes with a tremendous amount of responsibility. Here is a quick list of things to keep in mind:
- The goal of the meeting is to allow the Spirit of the Lord to lead the meeting. This means being slow to speak, but at the same time being ready and eager to speak if the Lord puts something on your heart to share with others.
- Being respectful of other’s views and positions is always good. You might be wrong. Being arugmentitive is seldom helpful.
- Love and truth go together. Many people love the truth, but aren’t very good at speaking the truth in love. Trying to change people is the job of the Holy Spirit. State your opinion and then leave it alone – at least for a while.
- Don’t wait for others to initiate with you. If you are looking for other people to love on you then you will stay hurt. Learn to pick up the phone and call!
- One of the primary things the Lord is doing is building His temple together which is made of living stones (1 Peter 2:5). Probably the most common hinderance that prevents living stones from being able to “fit together” is their pride. We all have it. But if you choose to share life in Jesus closely with others, your pride will be touched in deep places inside of you and you will have a choice to make. Anyone can act nice for a while, but eventually everyone’s choice of humility will be tested. Pride is like a virus that makes the body sick. If you are unable to let go of your pride, eventually you will begin to infect the body and you will not fit with anyone. You will either natually remove yourself from the body or the body’s spiritual immune system (Matt. 18) will remove you.
- You are a vital and important member in the body of Christ. The rest of us need you and your gifts. Come ready to engage!